My kids are four years old and are perfectly capable of dressing themselves and even putting their shoes on. They can feed themselves when they want to, and they will pick up their toys when they are told. Over the last several months they have been boogers and really pushing their limits.
I decided to start using a Chore Chart. Each kid has their own chart each with five chores. Feeding an animal, getting their clothes and shoes on without help, picking up their toys, eating all their food without a fight, and brushing their teeth. With each successful chore they get a star for the corresponding day. If they have five stars at the end of the day they get one Chore Change.
I went to the dollar store and purchased some small toys and a couple of larger toys (all for $1). The toys are in a basket sitting right below the Chore Charts, and each item has a Change amount on it in order to 'purchase' the toy. The toys range from ring pop (2 change), sand bucket (5 change) to a barbie and large gliding airplane (10 change). They also have a TV pass good for one TV show (3 change), a 15 min game pass (4 change) and a movie/popcorn pass (5 change).
Today was the first day of stars on the chore chart and they both woke up very eager to start earning stars. They got dressed with NO help which for Kolby has been a difficult task for weeks. I constantly hear "I need help", which if I'm busy returns the answer "No you don't go get dressed!" This morning he picked out his clothes and asked me if they were okay I said yes and he closed his bedroom door only to come out once he was fully dressed including his shoes.
They had a difficult time this evening realizing that they had to earn their change by completing chores and gaining stars in order to get one of those cool [cheap] toys from the basket. They have one star left to earn and that is to pick up all their toys before they go to bed. Hailey wanted to pick up the playroom at 7:15 this morning and I had to tell her she could/should wait until this evening.
We shall see how well this goes....here's to hoping!
No comments:
Post a Comment